vanilla matcha latte.
amidst the matcha obsession that has come to light in the recent years & after learning about some of the health benefits the tea has to offer – i will admit, i have finally jumped on board! a warm vanilla matcha latte has become an afternoon pick-me-up which i love to look forward at least a few times a week. i can’t part with my black coffee in the morning just yet, but this would also be a perfect time to integrate this delicious, and healthy, drink. recipe is below, but if you would like to know a bit more about the health benefits of matcha – keep reading.
here’s the deal, in a few bullets.
- matcha is packed with antioxidants (over triple most ‘superfoods’ on the market) which help prevent cell damage, which cause chronic diseases as well as improve different bodily functions such as heart function, memory, mood, & vision to name a few.
- matcha provides sustainable energy without raising blood sugar while actually promoting relaxation, which also reduces stress.
- matcha increases your metabolism by increasing thermogenesis (the body’s own rate of burning calories) by up to four times.
- matcha is rich in chlorophyll which naturally detoxifies the body (& gives the powder its green color) by reducing chemicals and metals in the body.
why matcha & not just green tea? green tea is also great, but when you drink ground matcha you are able to absorb all it has to offer – many of the benefits remain in the tea leaves. to get the potency of one cup of matcha, you would need to drink at least ten cups of tea.
here’s what you’ll need for the latte.
- 1/2-1 tsp ground matcha powder (get the matcha i used here or i found mine at whole foods) *i typically do a heaped 1/2 tsp, but you can determine how strong you prefer
- 3/4 cup nut milk or coconut milk
- 1/4 boiling water
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (i used honey, other great options are maple syrup or stevia)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- *optional milk frother or blender
- heat nut milk on the stove or in the microwave until warm, but not boiling.
- whisk together 1/4 cup boiling water & matcha via a milk frother, bamboo whisk, or in a nutribullet – for the last option, you may need to pre-mix the two so the mix does not stick to the side of the blender.
- add in your milk, vanilla, and sweetener. continue to blend whichever method you chose.
- when your drink grows a layer of milk froth on the top, you are ready to drink & enjoy – yum!
& that’s it! so yummy & leaves you feeling energized, calm, & refreshed. as always, tag @fitfoodfreie on insta if you make! c u next time.