my first fall recipe is finally here & i could not be more excited. this past week i took my first try at healthy, homemade pumpkin bread. it tasted like autumn at home & totally yum. this recipe is refined sugar free, almond flour based, vegan if you don’t count honey (or sub for maple syrup) & almost gluten free – sub gluten free baking powder/soda! let’s get baking.
here’s what you’ll need.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup organic canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 flax eggs (or organic pasteurized eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
here’s what you’ll do
- turn your oven on – lower heat & longer cooking time, my oven is not accurate so use your best judgement! i would guess around 350-375°F.
- next, make your flax eggs. combine flaxseed meal & water (1:3 ratio) & refrigerate so the mixture are ready to be added when gelatinized. or opt for real eggs! up to you.
- if you own a food processor, combine all wet ingredients (aside from the flax eggs) until smooth – if you don’t have one, np! start by hand mashing the bananas, then add the rest of your ingredients & mix well.
- whisk dry ingredients until well-combined.
- add in your flax eggs to your wet ingredients.
- add your wet to your dry & mix well!
- pour into a greased (with coconut or olive oil) bread/loaf pan.
- add crumble topping (*NOT optional!!!) – i used a mixture of old-fashioned oats, almond flour, pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts, coconut sugar, & coconut oil.
- allow to bake for up to an hour depending on your oven – check the status by sticking a knife in the middle.